I have been a bad blogger. In my defense, I think a lot about blogging, but things always get in the way. And so, in an effort to become a better blogger, it’s time for a list.
I love lists. I love planners. I love post-its with lists in planners. So let’s start with a list of what has happened in 2010.
- I passed Advanced Genetics
- I passed Genomics (and learned perl programing)
- I passed both my written
- and my oral prelim
- I chose a thesis lab
- I co-authored a review
- I applied for the NSF GRFP (crossing fingers)
- I took the Advanced Genetics TAship for spring 2011
Places traveled and people seen:
January: South Carolina to celebrate my oldest brother’s marriage
April: My dearest friend, Emily, came to a conference in St. Louis
May: Chicago with Camilla, Anne, and Jillian, and I said “until 2012″ to Camilla who moved back to Australia
June: Raleigh to celebrate the marriage of two friends, Sarah and Brian, and then on to a week in Maine to catch up and talk with mentors about lab decisions
September: Mum and Dad came to visit St. Louis for a few days
October: I missed the pig pickin’, but went to NC to surprise my scottish cousins visiting the US
November: Chicago with mum, and then spent Thanksgiving with cousins in Capitola, California
December: home to New Bern for Christmas
In other news:
- I started practicing Iyengar yoga in February
- I found a hiking buddy
- I found out I had a very hurt back and hip
- and I was discharged from physical therapy
- I stopped riding for 6 months
- and started back up, and my equitation is better than ever.
- Met some really amazing people – Camilla, Ashley, Sahar, Jane, Michelle, Kathy, and others.
- Went on my very first float trip
- found places to go hiking
- and went apple picking.
In fiber news:
- I actually started spinning my fleece
- completed several projects (and those of you who know my knitting habits should be proud), including two Christmas gifts
- joined ravelry
- learned lace knitting
- learned continental knitting
- learned how to read a knitting pattern
- learned magic loop
- started a sweater
- picked up needle felting
- and dyed my own self-striping yarn
And so what’s going to happen in 2012?
- I am going to be a better blogger. Or at least try.
- Stay on top of my written correspondence – do you want a letter from me? Send me your address.
- Complete the experiments necessary to publish on my work (and they’re going to work. really.)
- Work on gratitude – to the people who help me out every day without even knowing it.
- Be more systematic about becoming a better spinner. I already know I love it, now it’s time to get good at it.
What happened in your life last year? Do you have any new year’s resolutions?